Followers

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

a begining

I have been thinking about the best place to start this journey with Inez, and since this started with my touring their home I figured that was the most appropriate place to start the blog as well. 

Alvin and Inez Miller built this home in 1951-1952 by the design of Frank Loyd Wright. It is called the Alvin Miller house (also known as the Dietrich House). 


It is very apparent in the photographs that they were in love with this home. 


Neither of them were much taller then 5 feet and that is very much reflected in the scope of the home. 
They built it to meet their needs as one would expect out of a dream home.


Along with the initially built home, there were two other sets of plans Frank Loyd Wright drew up. One, for the dentist office that would adjoin the home. (my great grandfather and my grandfather were both dentists) The third set of plans were for another living space that was to be my grandparents home. 

The story, is that Frank Loyd Wright was not an easy person to work with. What he said was rule. When my mother's parents met with him and explained that they were planning to have another child and the plans needed to reflect another bedroom he very curtly told them that the house was not built for that many children and they should in fact NOT plan on more kids. 

Thankfully they did not listen. My mother was that third child!


They lived in the home until 1973 when it was sold. After being bought and sold a few times, new owners built the first addition onto the home. In 2008 the home was completely under water when the Cedar River flooded. The damage was so extensive the repairs could not be made by those owners. It has been on the market until it was recently sold. We have heard it is the new owners goal to bring it back to the original glory days.

Side Note: When this home was built, it cost $32,000!

7 comments:

  1. Great job Bird... Inez wuold be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! Both the Frank Loyd Wright story and the fact that you are getting to go through all these photos. I seriously started looking through the ones I have yesterday and I think I might have to start sharing some on Outnumbered. I think I'm the only one of 4 siblings who has copies, so I think I need to share. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danelle: Are you referring to old photos in general or old FLW photos of the Alvin Miller House? I am always looking for photos of the Inez and Alvin Miller home designed by FLW.

      Delete
    2. She was referring to personal photos that she has of her own.

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful, Katie! I will share it with Mom and Lindsey! Thanks for putting it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie ~ what an amazing story about the house! I just went through and read all your posts! I hope you don't mind I'm following, even though I'm not part of your family. I just love the story of the red suitcase and that she was a photographer, too. Just so cool! Great photographs! I can't wait to see more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi -

    We are the new owners of the Inez and Alvin Miller home. Thank you for sharing the link to your blog... it is just wonderful! We do indeed plan on bringing the home back to the days when your great-grandparents owned it, though it will be an exacting process since the house was gutted after the 2008 flood. Such a shame!

    But we are grateful and excited at every and any new photo you discover of the house, as each will help us to see what it should look like. We are especially interested in interior shots, as we have so few and the interior is now gone.

    Thanks again for sharing, and please do let us know if you find more.

    Paul and Jeanette

    ReplyDelete